Anderson Hall, the oldest building on Maryville College’s campus in Maryville, Tennessee, and home to the bell tower depicted in the school’s logo, needed a complete restoration.
Johnson Architecture took conscious care to maintain the building’s historic character while providing modern amenities. Originally constructed in 1870 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1975, Anderson Hall is synonymous with Maryville College. Joseph Construction Company joined with Lawler-Wood and Johnson Architecture to renovate the original four-story masonry and wood timber framed facility. The renovations included a four-pipe HVAC system, elevator, steel support skeleton, level floors, slate roof and new windows and exterior doors.
The building’s corridors have the same feel today that a student would have experienced more than 100 years ago. Once in the classroom, however, modern technology such as smart boards, integrated computer systems and other teaching aids, deliver the educational demands of today. Combining new features in old construction in an authentic-feeling way is a satisfying accomplishment.
Blount County Historic Trust Heritage Design Award, 2015
Knox Heritage East Tennessee Preservation Award, 2016
East Tennessee Historical Society Award of Distinction, 2016
Masonry Institute of Tennessee Merit Award in Masonry, 2017
Johnson Architecture is a design firm that provides architecture, planning, and full in-house interior design services for projects of all types including commercial, education, entertainment, government, industrial, medical, residential, restaurant and spiritual.
Knoxville TN 37919
(865) 671-9060 4318